SXSW Takeaways, the Antidote to Zoom Fatigue and More!
Happy Thursday! No, it’s not an April Fool’s joke! It’s a short week for us, so I’m just coming to your inboxes early this week due to the Easter holiday in Germany this Friday. If you have a long weekend in store, here are some things that have been going on in the event world this week. There is a big focus on Tradeshows this week.
- Italy survey finds event revenues down 79% across 2020 [Conferences and Meetings World] Overall, the number of events in Italy fell 83.3% in 2020. The numbers mirror a lot of data we’re seeing from across Europe.
- Do we need so many virtual HQ platforms? [TechCrunch] As virtual offices become a more regular feature of online events, TechCrunch examines the phenomenon to see if they’ll stick around.
- 6 Steal-Worthy Event Strategies From SXSW’s First Virtual Edition [BizBash] Last week’s SXSW event had a ton of takeaways for event organizers. While we all might not be able to replicate VR worlds for our attendees just yet, we can take away SXSW’s lessons on accessibility and digital “swag bags” for participants.
- The Antidote for Zoom Fatigue [Smart Meetings] Improving your audio and video will go a long way to prevent your viewer’s attention span from drifting. Some good tips on how to invest in the right tech.
- You Are A Powerful Force [Dan Ram] The presenter shares some of his top takeaways on presenting at online events and how anyone appearing on the screen can be a powerful presence.
- Barcelona pilot show for 5,000 concert-goers hailed a success by organisers [Conferences and Meetings World] Spain is experimenting a lot with event concepts lately, even going back to live events last week. This pilot show with facemasks and Covid-negative tests was a big hit in a country that’s desperate to return to live music.
- Badener erschafft eine virtuelle Messe wie ein Videospiel – einziger Nachteil: «Es gibt keine Bratwurst» [Badener Tagblatt] The only thing missing from a well planned virtual event? The food of course. This Swiss entrepreneur has a new platform to make virtual events feel like you’re not missing anything. We’re going to check it out.
- A new ecosystem for business events [GCB] The German Convention Bureau turns to COVID-19 as its next research topic for their ongoing research project.
- A Tribute to Julia Rutherford Silvers CSEP [University of Westminster] April 7th Event honors event designer and academic. There will be a full examination of Slivers’ 6A’s of Event Design, as well as networking and sponsorship booths. Eventprofs won’t want to miss this event.
The State of Tradeshows:
The tradeshow world has had a bumpy start to Q2, which kicked off this week. Two big cancellations with Spielwarenmesse and Agritechnica, as well as the announcement of a few hybrid and virtual shows.
- Kölner Messe-Chef: „Mich ärgert die Vollkaskomentalität, die Entscheidungen blockiert“ [report-K]
- Erstmals hybrid: Automechanika Frankfurt 2021 [PW]
- Agritechnica trade show postponed [KHL]
- Salone del Mobile “waiting for certainties from the government” before confirming September fair [Dezeen]
- Formnext 2021 plans hybrid event concept [ETMM]
- The Spielwarenmesse 2021 Summer Edition cancelled in July [PR News]
- Virtuelle Messe für die Metallbearbeitung Web-Sessions der Metav digital wurden gut angenommen [Mav] When tradeshows go virtual, the returns can be really positive, as this example shows from the recent Metav show. While exhibitors reported that the digital format of tradeshows did not replace the in-person event, it provided a good way for exhibitors to interact closely with customers, as well to bring the industry together after a long year without a single tradeshow.
- Mapping the EventTech landscape: PIRATEx [Glisser]
- Glisser appoints new CRO and welcomes two US board members [Event Tech Live]
- Eventopedia rebrands as virtual [Conference News]
- Bevy raises $40M for enterprise events in deal anchored by 25 Black investors [VentureBeat]
- People Connectors: This New Tech Platform Is Ushering in the Hybrid Events Era [Dallas Innovates]
- Ayzenberg VP Of Digital Michael Marina On The Future Of Virtual Events [A.list]
How to do it:
- Checkliste für Ihre hybriden Veranstaltungsformate [Xing Events]
- Keep Connecting With Colleagues After a Virtual Event [Associations Now]
- Top Tips For Facilitating Networking At A Hybrid Event [Hire Space]
- How to Host Engaging Virtual Events [Philanthropy]
- Virtuelle und hybride Events – fünf Learnings [Bernet]
- Zahlen, bitte! So messt ihr den Erfolg eurer professionellen Kommunikation [Trending Topics]
- Hybride Events – Vorteile und Herausforderungen [TechTag]
- 10 Clever Virtual Event Ideas You May Have Missed [BizBash]
- Our Top 5 Tips For Delivering The Best Virtual Content [Endless Events]
- A view into virtual value [Matter Now] Really comprehensive resource bringing together dozens of partners and event professionals on some of the key takeaways from the online event experience.
The Lookout Newsletter #19
PIRATEx Managing Director